tirsdag 9. oktober 2007

And off goes Mr. Toad

`No!' he said, a little sullenly, but stoutly; `I'm NOT sorry. And it wasn't folly at all! It was simply glorious!'

`What?' cried the Badger, greatly scandalised. `You backsliding animal, didn't you tell me just now, in there––––'

`Oh, yes, yes, in THERE,' said Toad impatiently. `I'd have said anything in THERE. You're so eloquent, dear Badger, and so moving, and so convincing, and put all your points so frightfully well – you can do what you like with me in THERE, and you know it. But I've been searching my mind since, and going over things in it, and I find that I'm not a bit sorry or repentant really, so it's no earthly good saying I am; now, is it?'

`Then you don't promise,' said the Badger, `never to touch a motor-car again?'

`Certainly not!' replied Toad emphatically. `On the contrary, I faithfully promise that the very first motor-car I see, poop- poop! off I go in it!'

(Illustrasjon av Michael Hague)

Ingen kommentarer:

 
Site Meter